...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

20 January 2008

Hospital Bag, AnteNatal Class, and a Carseat!

Our apologies to all of you "one topic post" people out there who prefer each blog post only have one topic. This one has a few random things together like the last one...

The first is our hospital bag.
My mother-in-law bought me this super cute bag from Abercrombie for Christmas and it's big enough (we think at least) to be our hospital bag.
Just one problem......what do we put in it?
We have several lists from books and from our antenatal class yesterday...so we're not completely clueless or anything. We have the basics covered.

We just want to know what YOU put in YOUR hospital bag (if you fall in the category of people who have kids). Anything you WISHED you would have put in there? Anything most lists recommend, but you didn't need? Leave a comment and let us know!

Second thing for this post...
We went to our "Labour Day" Ante-natal class yesterday.
(Because this is a former British colony, labor has "u" in it, and instead of "pre"natal its "ante"natal)
Our class was taught by a delightful British woman. There were only 5 couples, and we were quite the international group. It lasted all day. We learned some great massage techniques, relaxation techniques, and all about the stages of labor.
Here we are lined up according to our due dates- Me-Feb 15, Mary from Zimbabwe- March 6, Fei from Malaysia- March 7, Mei from Japan- March 26, and Natai from Australia-April 15.
We decided to go to Outback again for lunch. (Woohoo!) It was funny when Anthony and I told the couple from Australia that we were going to Outback to eat. They both immediately said, "It's NOT from Australia." HAHA! We know that because we're from Florida (the first Outback is in Tampa) and because I worked there...but still it was really funny to hear 2 Aussies say it.

We feel much more prepared for baby now... the antenatal class was very helpful and we can now also bring Isaac home from the hospital in safety!
Our boss returned from the US and they brought us back a carseat. They have them here, but the prices are marked WAY up- like $50 more than what it is in the states. The carseat is the hostess gift from our SKYPE Shower. Thanks so much ladies!

9 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Cute Antenatal Class picture :) Your belly totally looks like that picture in the What to Expect Book :) I like your carseat!!

OK, in my bag...
Granted, I was in the hospital for forever, so I needed a lot more to entertain myself ;)
OK...
- My computer...
- Good smelly things - like Bath & Body Works stuff :)
- Comfy (but cute) clothes :)
- Back Massager!!!! (I have this little rolly thing that Adam could use on my back and save his thumbs) :)
- Nintendo DS :)
- Portable DVD player & DVDs (or computer - but we liked the DVD player because we could hook it up to the TV in our room)

hmm... that's all I can think of right now... you probably won't need all those things to entertain you :) haha! I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and never once had our baby in our room... so we had plently of time ;)

YOU ROCK!

heididelreal said...

The day is almost here! YAY:) I was a total slacker and didn't pack my bag until 2 days before I had Adrian (he was 10 days early). Luckily, we atleast had one when we went to the hospital. Here's what I found useful...

1. DVD Player (if the hospital doesn't have one)I found it useful during the early labor stages.

2. Funny movies that take your mind off labor... my absolute FAV is Zoolander. I think I actually watched it twice:)

3. Hair ties- a girls gotta have something to pull her hair back!

4. Digital Camera and/or video camera- for all those special moments.

5. Lipgloss- okay, sounds really girly, but you will have lots of visitors taking lots of pictures. Why not look great?!

6. Socks- hospitals are sooo cold

7. Clothes and blanket for baby Isacc! FYI- the onsies for newborns were still huge on Adrian. I ended up getting just a couple premie onsies for the first few weeks. And he was 7 lbs 5 oz!

Well, that's about it other than the basic hygenic goods! I had him in the room with me the whole time so I was really focused on him and didn't find the need for much else. Hope this is semi useful! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

marylou said...

i just knew i got that bag for a reason! go girl! p.s., isaac may even fit it in...jk jk...gammalou

Emily said...

The one thing I found very useful was the breast pump! I had issues with my milk/colostrum coming in, and the single, never had children nurses kept coming in and yanking and squeezing on me. Then I discovered all it took was a couple of minutes on the breast pump to get my milk flowing, and they stopped tsking over me.

I agree with the socks thing! We took our laptop and movies, but never watched a thing.

Makeup bag and hair dryer. It's not high-maintenance, it's necessary with all the cameras! :)

I can't think of anything else, except maybe cute things for Isaac since you'll take millions of pics of him those first few days.

Your class looked fun! I would love to have gone to Outback, Aussie or not. :)

Brad, Sara, Elijah, Anna and Jacob said...

I totally agree with the socks...for some reason your feet always seem to be cold!

I had a back massager...the kind you hold in your hand and roll around on your back. Also, if you have access to a microwave, a sock filled with rice that can be heated for a few seconds and used for a heat pack. I stayed curled around it through my whole labor!

Don't forget to pack a change of clothes for Dad too and maybe a few snacks. They tell you not to eat, but by our second kid I ignored them and chowed down...Labor is hard work, got to keep up your energy!

Anonymous said...

You look adorable!! I cant believe you are about to deliver little Isaac!!! I am SO excited! Your belly is too cute...you are still so tiny! LOVE YOU! MISS YOU! Love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't had any little ones yet, so when you figure it out let me know. I think when Tanya went she took her own pillow. You know those hospital pillows aren't always what you want. Good luck! Love, Danielle

The Agarwals said...

Ok, here's what I have found after 3 kids- the list is kinda long and some of it is a little "unnecessary,"

All 3 times I wanted my own pj's - not the glamorous hospital gowns- something that buttons down the front for ease in nursing and also, they look way better in the pics!!

Some stuff for Dad- all 3 times Rahul went for hours without eating... combine that with the crazy breathing techniques and you've got a recipe for fainting! With Collin, the nurse had to make him sit down while my parents ran and got him something to eat- so he could make it through!! :-)

Something to distract you- since I didn't take any pain meds, I found this really helpful- with Collin I wasn't prepared for the pain level or the length of time I would be in labor, I was kinda all over the place- With the other 2 I learned about the art of distraction- I watched HGTV with Griffin and was so focused on the color of paint they were using, I breezed right through the highs and lows of each contraction- The Today Show helped with Eden- it's a piece of cake- really!

Hair bands or hair ties
Chap stick, something about all that sweating and excitement makes your lips get all dry!
And, I always took my own shower goodies and make up- although, this is the one time in life when it really, really just doesn't matter- made up or not, a new mom glows!!

Not a big fan of socks, but I found these really cute slipper flip flops- they were perfect for getting to the bathroom without walking on that icky hospital floor.

Cell phone chargers were good too- lots of calls to make- not sure if that will be helpful for you guys- but PLEASE pack your laptop so we can see some pics of Isaac ASAP!!!

Oh, and need I remind you the importance of the video camera, the extra tapes, the battery packs and the digital camera too? In the end, that's all I really wanted!!
In the middle of the pushing I think I was more concerned that Rahul get the camera ready than anything else!!

I can't wait- you guys are gonna be awesome parents!!!
woo hoo- it's almost here!!

Emily said...

I know this is way late, but I thought of something else. If you have one, a...oh what's the name of them...those red bulb lights, ultra something or other. Anyway, they are supposed to be really handy for healing tears or episiotomies. And also for, ahem, hemorrhoids. Giving birth is such a pretty business. :)