...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

18 February 2008

+3 Days...and then the morning comes...

Still have a belly...
BUT, today Dr. Chow did an internal exam and an ultrasound. She told me last week she would if I went over my due date because she needed to check amniotic fluid levels and any progression.

(This is probably another one of those posts where only women will care to read...:)

She did the ultrasound and the fluids were all great. We could tell even through the blurriness of the ultrasound, that his face is all smooshed up in there...he kinda looked like an Ewok...very cute!

As soon as she started the internal exam, her face lit up and she said, "Wow...his head his REALLY low." Then she smiled and said, "Oh wow, your cervix is short and less than 1cm."

At this point I got disappointed and thought in my mind, "WHAT!?! I'm 3 days overdue and only 1cm dilated! Grrrrr..." (but she was talking about effacement and I didn't realize it...)

Then she continued, "...and you're about 3 to 4 cm dilated."

"WOOHOO!"

So in regular people's language, that means everything is nearly open all the way for him to come out.

After the exam she asked how uncomfortable I had been during the internal exam and she asked again if I had had any contractions. When I told her I had only had a few, very spaced apart, and very weak contractions and wasn't really uncomfortable during the exam she said smiling, "Hmmm. I think you've got a high pain threshold." I replied, "Well I sure hope so!"

So here's the scoop. I've been having some definite contractions since the appointment, although they're still pretty irregularly spaced. If we don't go in tonight, we will tomorrow morning for induction. We weren't wanting to induce, but after talking more with our doctor she said I was a "prime candidate" and that she had zero reservations about inducing me. She is not a risk-taker when it comes to induction because if everything isn't "ripe" then there's a far greater chance of a c-section, which she likes to avoid. I'm about to go do some more walking because we'd still prefer "spontaneous" labor... baby Isaac really IS on his way!

Hopefully the next post will be of baby Isaac's smooshed up little face and his newborn conehead!

STAY TUNED!!!

9 comments:

The Agarwals said...

This is exactly what happened with Collin! We were supposed to go in to the hospital for induction at like 5 in the morning and around midnight I started having contractions- we walked the French Quarter all day to try to "convince" him to join us in the world! We'll keep praying! I know how important it is to you have that spontaneous no meds labor! However Isaac comes will trust Dad to bring him safely! We love you and can't wait to see his precious little face!!

Emily said...

Woo-hoo!! This is so exciting!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! I will continue lifting you guys up :)

Anonymous said...

I'm soooooo excited for you! It sounds to me like just doing the walking might make things happen. I'll pray you don't have to be induced...I know you don't really want to be. Can't wait to see that precious little baby...conehead and all!! Love you guys! Lori S.

courtney danielle said...

come on baby isaac!! we're ready to see that handsome face...

~courtney

Cool Dad said...

found you through a Google search, but just wanted to offer some encouragement and more excitement to the blessed event!

The Agarwals said...

Alright Isaac, you're making me a blog stalker now! :-) I keep checking and checking and checking hoping to catch a glimpse of your sweet face! Hurry up! I can hardly stand it! (and I bet I'm not the only one who feels that way!!)
Lifting you up still Rivers fam!
We love you 3!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yea! I love little newborn smooshed up faces and coneheads! Fun!!
Yea!! He really IS coming!!!!

The Agarwals said...

No posts?!!!! That has to mean Baby Isaac has arrived!