...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

20 March 2011

"I hope it's a ....."

What a privilege to be the mother of 2 boys and to be pregnant again!
And oh wow. I'm now 10.5 weeks pregnant and if I had a dollar for everytime someone has said, "Oh congratulations! Hopefully it'll be a girl this time!" I'd be looking at a pretty sweet gift for myself (yes, myself, I'm the one pregnant!) by the time week 40 rolls around. Probably something shiny, or an overnight trip somewhere that included a massage at a spa.


If people don't offer their hopes of pink, then I definitely get one of 2 questions, "So do you think it'll be a girl this time?" or the very similar "Are you guys hoping for pink this time?" There hasn't been one first reaction of "Yay! Maybe 3 boys!?!" or "Blue blue blue!"

Really, I don't mind. I totally get why people say it and I've said similar things to people... even my cousin who is due in May with their 3rd girl, I sent my "maybe this time boy!" hopes her way early on.  Yet maybe it's even her thrilled reaction at "3 of a kind" that birthed (no pun intended) this post idea.

What ARE we thinking? Boy? Girl? What DO we hope for? Pink? Blue? And the mom to mom question, "Do you have any clues or hints as to what it is?"

So what is my "mom sense" telling me these days? 
Not much really.  But lets break it down, old wives tale style and see if we can come up with something...

Nausea-  My nausea is worse than it was with Isaac. My blood sugar seems to drop out of nowhere and I find myself having to snack a lot to keep from feeling sick- which I didn't have to do with Isaac.  Old Wives say More Nausea = Girl. However! I'm 10 weeks and still haven't thrown up once.  So while it's worse than it was with Isaac, it's still not sending me to the toilet every morning and evening.  And my language teacher who has had 4 kids (3 girls and a boy) says just the opposite of the Old Wives... "My nausea was non-existent with girls, with my son I nearly died."  So. Nausea isn't really telling me a whole lot I don't think.  Though maybe it's more similar to my pregnancy with Isaac than it is different.


Cravings- With Isaac I craved meat and sour/salty things. So Aunt Annie's pretzel stand was a favorite of mine as I'd get a salty pretzel and an ice cold lemonade. Most Old Wives agree with me- salty equals boy, sweet equals girl. This time is similar, as I have eaten more regular Lays salted potato chips in the last 6 weeks than I have in the last 6 years probably.  But the "craving" is different. It's almost like nothing else will taste good, so salty chips is my option because it's all I can stomach.  And I can't drink anything carbonated. That immediately gives me indigestion, nausea and leaves my mouth tasting like metal.  Sweet sweet tea has been a life saver. At home I make it myself and when I'm out- and for language class- I usually get a "Lipton Peach Iced Tea" every day.  Then around 11pm or so every night the last big wave of nausea hits (does no good to go to sleep early as it wakes me up) and a piece of cinnamon-sugar toast and a glass of milk has been my go to snack item.   So... I wouldn't say I'm craving salty things, but day time it's what I'll reach for... yet with Isaac I couldn't get enough lemonade and with this one all drinks must be sweet.  So... in my estimation, cravings are still leaving me in the dark.


The Baby Bump Shape- This one is hard to say because in general bumps show up earlier in subsequent pregnancies than they do with the first. I'm no exception to this I think as Isaac took his sweet time showing himself and til the end looked just like I was totally faking everyone out and just stuck a basket ball under my shirt.  Like a good little boy, Isaac followed all the Old Wives and was "all belly."  This one is already showing (that I can see... no one has tried to pat my belly or anything yet!) and I feel like it's wider.  Wide to Old Wives means girl. However my cousin (the one with baby girl #3 in her at this very moment) is a walking testimony that Old Wives sometimes just like to gossip and really don't know what they're talking about as nothing about her baby bumps would be considered "wide."  Also, since I'm having to snack more (as much as I'd like to stick with the doctor-recommended only adding 300 more calories per day) I can't say I'm not just gaining weight in general.  Also, the bump has yet to really "pop" in the true sense of course so it's hard to tell in the first place.  So baby bump isn't helping either.

Intuition- I have zero intuition about this one. I say I felt like Isaac was a boy, though not strongly... but definitely more strong than any clue I have about this one. 


"Yeah yeah, but what do you want?"- I can honestly say I really don't know.  Maybe it's coming from the heart of a grateful mother who has 2 healthy children and I'm older now than even just 3 years ago when we started our parenting journey, so I can say, "It doesn't matter." But I think I was also affected by having the option of getting to choose what I wanted the sex of my 2nd child to be.  How often do you get that choice? If you don't adopt, never! Yet, when we filled out the page with all the "options" for kids, neither of us could bring ourselves to check "Boy" or "Girl" so we checked "Either."  To have that kind of power of choice then just give it back to God and trust He will bring the right child into our family has affected me.  How much more though than just getting older and being thankful for another child in general, I can't say.  But I am SO grateful I didn't check the "girl" box while adopting as there is no other child on the face of the earth that could be more perfect (or more naughty) as the 2nd child in our family than Isaiah Kingston. 

So what do I want?  I guess I feel like I've got that options paper in my hand again and I'm realizing I just don't have enough wisdom to choose for myself and am gladly and gratefully letting the Lord make that choice for me... my hope is in Him, not in the nursery decor color!



For those who are not satisfied with a Jesus-Sunday-school answer, I will say that some days I think about having a girl, and buying pink, and using the word "Daughter"... yet there are as equal number of days where it is so easy to picture 3 little pairs of swim trunks hanging on the line, even more trains and train accessories scattered all over my floor, and not having to change my daily vocabulary from "BOYS!" to "KIDS!"

Does that answer your question?

11 comments:

The Lourceys said...

Congratulations Sharon! How fun to have 3!

I felt the same as you this time. I would have loved to have a boy but was equally excited for sisters! It turns out we're having 2 girls and I couldn't be happier.

Either way, I can't wait to find out if your new baby is a boy or girl.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I loved this post. Well thought. Well said (or written?). I for one am more than satisfied with your Jesus-Sunday-School answer. Realizing that we don't have the wisdom to choose for ourselves and being willing to gladly and gratefully let the Lord make the choice for you certainly is (in my opinion) the best way to go. Boy or girl, this sweet precious baby is blessed to have you for a mom! (and Anthony for a dad of course) Though like Emily I'm looking forward to celebrating with you pink or blue!

Anthony and Sharon said...

Thanks Ladies... as soon as we know what it is, we'll let everyone know! We saw that Isaac was a boy at 12 weeks... April 1 is my 12.5 wks appt with this one...so if it IS another boy, we might get a clue then. If not, we wait like everyone else has to!

Also... as we (Wilsons and Durrances) can attest, 3 or 4 of a kind is awesome indeed! Jane Austen chose not to give the Bennett girls a brother... and that book is called literary genius!

roger and courtney said...

Great post. I love the perspective that you have with getting to choose (or not choose) the gender when you were adopting.
Can't wait to hear what #3 is!

Emily said...

We love our 2 of a kind family. :) I'm excited to hear the news, and find out what I name y'all give!
That last picture is too cute for words!!

Michelle said...

MAKE EVERYONE WAIT AND DON'T FIND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's so much fun not knowing!!!!!!! Just think you get to pick out 2 names! You know it will be a boy or a girl...if the question was will it be a puppy or a frog then yeah I'd say find out....you have to admit it was exciting not knowing what Isaiah was :)

Brandon and April said...

I can't wait to know what God is giving you guys next. We can already say that you're brilliant and raising boys and creating good looking ones at that...and we know that God will give you wisdom when it comes to little girls too. "Three swim trunks...." that sounds fun. That darling tutu though, is just preciousness.
Hoping that at 12.5 weeks, it's easy to tell!!!!

Grandmama said...

Of course this grandmama doesn't really have a preference of boy or girl. Spoiling either is quite fun!!! Statistically, when either of the grandma's involved look at the numbers, the odds of this baby being a boy seem high! 4/2 and 3/1. Even with those odds, it's still a 50/50 bet.
Like Michelle, the gender of our three were unknown until birth, and it is a very fun SURPRISE, if you dare. One thing I know, Grandmama is going to do her best to be there "with bells on." God has blessed and made a way for me to be present at the hospital for the last 6, and I certainly am not one to mess up a perfectly good record!!!
For now, it's WAIT and SPECULATE!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I was sick all the time (mostly just really bad nausea, but also some vomiting) with all 3 of mine. It was worse with Hannah than Aaron, but then in the middle with Stuart...so that didn't tell me anything either. Also, I carried Hannah MUCH lower than Aaron, but I carried Stuart pretty much in the middle...so that didn't tell it with me either! Bottom line...you'll have what God chooses to bless you with and I can attest to the fact that both are FUN!! :)

Aunt Cara said...

3 words: Need belly pics!!

Julia said...

I have to go with your language teacher. I had no nausea with Ava, but I couldn't even feed the dog without gagging when I was preggers with Nolan. I too love your Jesus answer. He is the one who is all knowing and the giver off all things good and perfect, boy or girl. I can't wait to hear! I may just stay up past midnight on the 27th to hear:)