I gave the boys popsicles for their afternoon snack and instructed them to eat them on the porch because of the stickiness involved.
I was doing some reading and heard quiet chatting on the porch from voices that didn't belong to my boys...and came out to find half-a-dozen children standing there staring at my kids while they were sitting and eating the popsicles.
It takes some getting used to being stared at. For me it's one of the biggest culture stress/shock triggers out there. It doesn't get to me all the time, and can actually help gain lots of new friends, but sometimes I just get sick of it and that overwhelming feeling of Will-they-ever-not-notice-me-? and the extreme desire to blend-in makes me want to say, "I CAN SEE YOU STARING AT ME! THIS ISN'T A ZOO AND I'M NOT AN EXHIBIT!" But I don't, of course.
I'm just telling you all that so you can know that this little instance isn't out of the ordinary and is actually pretty well what we live every time we step outside our house, everyday. I often wonder if it will ever get on the boys' nerves or if they'll just think of it as the norm? They sure ate their popsicles like it wasn't a big deal.
However, when Isaac got up to go run around in the yard the kids, in a big clump, followed him around. He looked like Prince William and the paparazzi. At one point one of the girls stepped in front of him to attempt to pen him in. He juked her pretty quickly and finally I asked them to take a picture... Isaac didn't want to stand with them and this is what I got. So cute. So telling.
Then we went to the beach near sunset.
We saw shells...
We found a "hidden mickey" in some driftwood..
Enjoyed the coral sand...
5 comments:
yeah...the lack of anonymity is going to drive me bonkers too. I'd be like, "um...can we just chill on our porch by ourselves please?!?!??!!" only, probably not.
fun at the beach!! save some sand for us! :)
You are so right about that being a hard adjustment and stressor! But I love that your boys took it in stride. And looked adorable while doing it. :)
emily said it...the boys took it in stride! happy new year...love you!
i believe your boys love those homemade popsicles!! We have discovered that here it is best not to use a double stroller. Its just too much attention for anyone. looks like good times at the beach, i would say that's the best way to spend a new years!
I love seeing these little glimpses into your world and hearing your thoughts about the reality of adjusting to life again. I'm so happy for you that you're close to the beach... and a tad jealous. We returned to a lovely 26 degrees, snow-covered Prague today.
And Isaac's hair is so. stinkin. cute.
Post a Comment