Here's how we went about it for those interested (if not you can skip to the picture):
1. We chose to teach him to sit on the potty to pee (for all those moms of boys out there that I asked their opinion of, thanks! you were all helpful!) just so when it was time to poop, he wouldn't have to remember extra steps. One mom (mother of 4 boys) told me, "Look, they'll get it when they see all the other boys standing up and daddy standing up that they can do it that way too. It's just easier in the beginning." We also just went ahead and went with the big toilet. Less things to learn to get to the final result..."Just start with what I want to end with" is a parenting phrase of mine. So anyway. That's what we went with and Isaac seems to do pretty well with it!
2. We also started with a "dolly" that goes pee-pee...aka- an old Cabbage Patch Splash'n kid that I got in the 2nd grade after my first dental surgery because I didn't cry, and a squirt toy that I artfully held behind the doll in order for Isaac to watch the doll go pee. Anyway, the book we kind of followed said to for the child to teach the doll to go pee, then it's understood better when he starts. The doll thing helped somewhat, even though I was skeptical. I think it helped him get that he was supposed to sit and wait on the potty to pee. The problem was we had 3 accidents before we could really get done training the doll (less than an hour) so I just ended up abandoning it and going with training Isaac.
3. Here's another thing we heard both sides on when asking parents. But we decided, no pull-ups. He's a big boy. He can learn. I realize it may take up to a year or more for him to REALLY get this, but I think being consistent is helpful for those little brains trying to figure out what Mommy and Daddy expect from them in potty training.
Anyway...not that any of you wanted to know all this. I just know there are different ways of approaching potty training and this is how we did it.
And I'm happy to report at the end of day #2 that he woke up dry from sleeping all night the first night and from his nap today and he pooped in the potty with only a little complaining/fussing. The next big task is to go on an outing and see how he does. Who knows what tomorrow will hold but that's a pretty good start and we're SUPER proud of him!
So I almost posted a bunch of the really funny and cute pics we got of him potty training...there are several! But then just didn't feel right about it...but the one below I HAD to share. Anthony managed to catch this moment on day #1 about 1 and a half hours into it. It so captures the essence of potty training! (oh, and I have a white tank top on for any of you out there thinking I shouldn't have bought a shirt so big) I think this moment was when I gave up on the doll...that you can see here being cast to the wayside.
3 comments:
haha! That picture is hilarious!
Aash has been potty trained during the day for a long time, but night is still an issue (she's a heavy night wetter) That is awesome that he was dry at night!! Go Isaac!!
That picture is great! We haven't been brave enough to try all night diaper-less. We do nap time without diapers, and she wets every time, so I can't imagine overnight!
Way to go on getting him potty trained!
That picture is hysterical... everything from the pee to the pot belly to the look on his face. He will definitely thank you for that one one day. ;)
Post a Comment