...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

10 June 2007

a PERSON?


It's incredible that in less than a year we'll be responsible for a whole person.

I saw a movie once where they said to start out with a houseplant and if that lived, then move on to a pet. If the pet lived, then maybe you were ready for a baby.

We can't have a dog here, and I really don't want cats.
Because they poop.
Because their pee stinks, and if it gets on any cloth, it stinks forever.
Because they scratch things like furniture and my flip-flops.
Because we don't have money to get them declawed.
Because they can't do things like "sit" on command.

Remember the whole schpiel Robert DeNiro gave in "Meet the Parents" about cats and how they can't be 'broken'...that's so true. And I don't want one.
Because I don't want the responsibility.
Because Anthony's eyes look like Christmas after he pets one (eyes are green and then the rest turns red).

Pondering all this I think, "How is it that the Lord thinks I'm ready to be responsible for another human being's well-being?"

I mean. Anthony and I vowed to love, honor, and cherish one another.
But that was easy
He's already potty trained!
And if he's thirsty or hungry he knows how to get food and drinks for himself.
Which makes me, in turn, thankful for my mother-in-law and my late father-in-law for potty training Anthony and teaching him how to do stuff like talk so he can tell me when he needs my help, and exactly what he needs help with.
He doesn't cry.
He doesn't poop in the backyard.
He doesn't scratch the furniture with his fingernails.
In fact, he knows how to cut his own fingernails.
Thank you MamaLou!

This baby thing is a harder thing to handle.
I mean, I admit I'm a selfish person.
Aren't we all?
Even if you didn't verbally express when your first child was coming, "Holy crap it's not about me anymore!"
You at least thought it.
If you didn't think it, you felt it in the tension in your neck. Yes, knots in your neck mean "Holy crap!"

I KNOW in 9 months Anthony and I won't be able to just go to the movies when we want.
It's gonna take planning.
Timing.
Baby-sitters.
Constraints of not being able to do anything we want afterwards, but to return at the time we told the baby sitter.
I KNOW in 9 months my clothes will be stained with spit-up.
SPIT-UP!
Milk that has been slightly digested, thrown up, and souring on my shirt.
I KNOW in 9 months the AMAZING sleep I get on Saturday morning will vanish.
GONE...
and not only gone, but replaced by crying, doing stuff, and giving my attention and care to someone far more helpless than myself.

So what was the Lord thinking giving me a baby now?
He knows I kill plants (yes that's MY plant in the picture)
He knows stuff like poop, pee, and spit-up aren't fun to me.
He knows I'm selfish (He's helped me a lot on several points, but His work is far from over)

His Word helps me know what He's thinking.
He says it over and over...
Children are blessings.
BLESSINGS!
HOLLA!
This baby is gonna be snuggly, not a spikey palm fron (yes the plant is supposed to be a palm).
Statistically, it's probably gonna have dark curly hair.
It won't have pet dandruff that'll make Anthony's sinuses angry everytime he wants to touch it.
It's gonna poop and pee, but diapers for the most part will contain all that.
So at least when it poo's I'll have an idea of where it is gonna be to clean it, and I won't have to smell for places on a rug to find the exact location.

So this precious little (right now it's like only a few hundred cells) person is gonna rock our world in just a few months.
Can't say I'm completely ready.
But if I was completely ready, I probably wouldn't turn to the Word like have been searching for wisdom.
The Lord does all things to receive praise from His creation.
I'm praising him right now that its even possible for there to be a PERSON inside me.
I always thought it was kinda cheesy when people were so amazed at new life...
but it's blowing me away right now.
I'm praising Him for the dependency He's creating IN ME because of the dependency of this little one ON ME.
I'm ready for this blessing the Word speaks of so highly...even though the blessing includes things like changing diapers and making sure it eats.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Parents of my fourth grandchild,

Lovin' this blog. Your introspection is interesting and I hope that "Daddy" will also share. But you're not the only one with questions. I'm just amazed at this whole generational thing...how could I possibly be a grandparent for the fourth time? or..how is this third culture child going to feel about the hog huntin', dog pettin', American football watchin', and ham and cheese sandwich eatin' grandparents when he/she comes for a visit later in his life. However, the boat ownin', movie watchin', and music rockin' part should be a-okay! I praise the Father for Skype and the chance to really communicate often...FOR FREE! (God shall supply all your needs...)

Love to all,
Mama

Brandon and April said...

I totally want to copy and paste this post into our blog substituting "Brandon" for "Anthony" and "a couple trillion cells" for "only a few hundred cells."
great post. You're gonna be great parents. Regardless of smelling like soured spit up.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, You are going to be such a good mommy . . . I've seen you around babies . . . and I've seen babies around you (actually, around the both of you) . . . this little one is so very blessed! Grandmamaloutobeagainandlovinit!

Anonymous said...

OK, had to comment on this one!

It is amazing how a baby changes your life but ALL for the better. I asked myself those same questions, and constantly wondered if we were ready. I could not have prepared myself without His word!

It now amazes me that I really don't like babysitters. I absolutely can't leave my baby for more than an hour without my heart completely aching for the next minute I can hold her. And, spit-up is part of our everyday lives, and somehow it is still so cute when she upchucks on me and then laughs about it, and don't worry, it does wash out:)It's just the carpet you have to watch for;) IF you get a good sleeper like I have, he or she will sleep in until 11:00 every day! That's the time I should be doing house work, but I usually just sit and watch her sleep, house work will just have to wait!

Now, it's the complete opposite, what did I ever do without this child in my life? It's truly amazing to watch His little miracle, and to know I was the one who was blessed enough to be her mom!

I am so SUPER excited for you guys! I love you two...I mean three and look forward to your "journey."

Julia

Anonymous said...

You guys are going to make greaT parents! I have seen you both with children and I could think of no one better than the two of you to be having a baby now. I am sooooo excited for you and I am very excited to read your blogs. Love the stories!

Love you guys!
Danielle