...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

04 April 2012

I guess someone around here should...

...speak Chinese, that is.
 It's only been 3 months, but Isaac has learned a few symbols and can say a couple rhymes in his first "other" language. I'm sure like anyone learning a new language and being immersed in it for a few hours a day, he can understand more than what he can say. Problem is, I have no way to know because Iiiii don't speak Chinese.  One day we'll have to have a rule about only speaking to Mama and Daddy in languages they know.

For now, though, he's still a bit fuzzy on what it means to speak another language.

Me: What did you do at school today?
Isaac: I speak Chinese!
Me: Really?! Cool. What did you say?
Isaac: I speak Engwish.
Me: Uh-huh. So what did you say in Chinese?
Isaac: {pause} Um. I don't know.

This video is him explaining the sidewalk chalk characters. I think he gets one of them wrong, but so? He can't even read Engwish yet.



and this one is him reading a rhyme from his Mandarin Lesson book.



Are your socks still on? Mine aren't. Blown right off.
He's got a ways to go, but I'm so proud of him!

5 comments:

Brandon and April said...

way to go Isaac!! :)
tell him that "ren something xiao..." is ren you (yo!) xiao." and...the rest I have no idea. :) He's way ahead of me. Maybe in June we'll be able to have conversations together and moderately be on the same level!

roger and courtney said...

Way to go! He looks so sweet concentrating on his book.

Emily said...

That last comment was from me...google is being weird today. (Emily in Texas)

marylou said...

couldnt watch the video at work (they are blocking everything lately grrrr) and then had problems commenting from my ipad (laptop is acting weird) but my gosh, how absolutely cute to hear him speak (and read) chinese! cant wait till you are here and i can hear him in person :)

BrettDeAnnaGib said...

Brett will love this. He is learning Chinese these days...no joke! No...I don't know why. Maybe so we can live in Malaysia one day. :) - D