Wait wait wait. Let me say that again. The boys stayed in bed until 7am this morning. Do you know how miraculous that is? Do you?
The Rivers boys are fond of marching into our room at 5:45am. (well Isaiah has been lately) Mama and Daddy are most certainly NOT fond of this ritual. We've told them multiple times: stay in bed til the sun comes up. Stay in bed til 7. Please, for your parents sanity, stay in bed. Isaac understands daytime and nighttime, but Isaiah still needs a bit of help...and with a new baby coming and nighttime feedings on the way, we want to make sure both boys stay put until we
The other day I (Anthony) got up super early to go running, only to find Isaiah already up and sitting on the stairs. Do you know how frustrating it is to never beat your children out of bed? The requests start flowing the minute they see us: "Can I have oatmeal?" "DINK! (that's Isaiah's word for drink)" "Hey Daddy, 'bout you play trains with me?"
So several days ago, after I again got up early to beat the kids, only to have them already up, I immediately got online and bought this at 5:45 in the morning:
You don't know how excited I am about the contents of that box.
So what is it?
A clock. But not just any clock, oh no my friend. Simple clocks won't do for a 3-year-old and 1-year-old who really can't tell time yet. So how did this clock get my boys to stay in bed til 7?
Because it does that! That's right. A sun during the day. A star at night. You set the clock (lets say for 7am) and when it reaches that time the star turns into the sun. Tell the boys, "No one gets out of bed til you see the sun on your special clock" and BAM: kids obey their tremendously awesome clock.
Brilliant.
I could kiss the person who came up with this. In fact, I probably will if I ever meet them. Here's their website. Go there and be amazed.
Here's a video so you can see what it looks like as it switches from day to night and back to day again:
Oh, and the little stars slowly disappear throughout the night so the boys know when it's getting close to wake up time. Last night was the first time we used the clock and the boys stayed in bed til 7. Glorious.
5 comments:
This has been on my shopping list for the past few weeks. Asher is good about staying in the bed until 7:30 or 8 (okay, I know, you hate me), but lately he's been creeping out earlier and earlier. Did you find it where you live or did you order it?
5:45 am?!?! I'm only surprised that it took you this long to order it! :) Eden went through a phase where she'd get up before 7 so we put a digital clock in her room with paper taped over the last two numbers and told her she couldn't get up before the number said 7. Turns out, the girl was deathly afraid of the glowing numbers at night and just screamed when we tried to leave her in there with a terrifying digital clock. I'm so thinking she would have loved the gro-clock! :)
Courtney - we ordered it from an in-country website after seeing one in the capital a few weeks back. We could get one cheaper from the US, but then we'd run into the problem of having to plug it into a converter. We're really happy with this brand (it's a UK company).
Oh. My. Word. I NEED this! Looking it up right this minute.
I believe this might be my next purchase. Actually, since my birthday is coming up it might be what I request from Hubs :) Our boys have always been early risers and we were in need of a brilliant idea. Happy sleeping!!
Post a Comment