...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

28 July 2010

Popsicle Post

It's summer.
Next summer it will be summer the year round.
It's Florida.
Next summer it won't be.
Our Disney Passes have run out.
Next year, they'll still be out, but the closest Kingdom of Magic will be in Hong Kong.
Wait! We have a boat!
Though, we have to wait for Daddy, Granddaddy, and/or Uncle Zach to not be working to go the lake.

So,what to do?
Make popsicles of course!
We bought super fun popsicle holders at Disney World (stretching the magic as best we can!) with STRAWS built into the holder so you can drink the melted part. Genius.

I did like one minute of research and found these, in case you're interested. Basically the same thing but without grown people dressed up like mice and ducks standing right outside the door.
I researched popsicle recipes and was really excited about it at first, but am not so much now (though I'm still into making popsicles for the kiddos).
Here's some of our popsicle fun from the past few weeks.I would HIGHLY recommend getting some form of toddler or preschooler to help you with making popsicles. Make them in a room with tile floor, but get a small person. It's WAY more fun!

First the yogurt pops. Greek yogurt + 1 Can juice concentrate + 1 can water (I think anyway) + stirring = a yogurt pop. Watch out for enthusiastic yogurt scooper-outers.
The result was ok. It didn't rock my world, really, but they were good and probably the healthiest of all the popsicles made to date.
Then came the "dripless" popsicles. I tried these twice. Jello box + Kool-aid packet + 2/3rds cup HOT water + 2 cups cold water = well...not what I had hoped for. But my helper was cute, so I was fine.
The result both times was that the jello part must have separated and sunk to the bottom of the holder before it froze (the top of the popsicle when you pull it out). I thought maybe it was the sugar, so I heated it on the stove to melt the sugar the second time. Same result. If you look at the frozen blue thing in the adorable 2-year-old's hands below you can kinda see that the top part has a darker color to it. That's the jello part. Isaac didn't seem to notice but the texture was just weird. Flavor was thumbs up, but it was just different than I thought it'd be.So then I turned to good ol' plain Kool Aid to simplify things. And lets face it... Kool Aid comes in the most fun popsicle colors. Below is Isaac and Isaiah enjoying the Kool Aid pops with their cousins Laina, Seth, and Kara. Oh summer!
Yep. I let 'em have TWO!
I know you don't need to see another green popsicle, but I thought you might want to see some eyelashes to envy.
And the handy built-in straw in action. Delicious! (more-so the baby than the popsicle)
The plain Kool Aid worked fine though the flavor tends to run out a bit fast. So Laina (pictured below in the only photo I took of the popsicles I'm about to describe) and I decided that we'd put 2 Kool Aid packets in only 3 quarts of water...I also added a single-serve raspberry lemonade Crystal Light packet for zest. Definitely tastier.
I realize giving critical opinions of frozen treats that basically all taste the same is a bit much. It's ALL been fun and the most important thing is that I've had a blast making them with my son, sharing them with kids I adore to help beat the summer heat, and making some fun memories while it's still summer!

5 comments:

Brandon and April said...

those are so cool that I might actually PAY for you to go to Disney again just so you could buy me a set! :) and I'm impressed with your popsicle recipes! I don't think I would have thought to try anything but just plain ole koolaide! :) Although we used to always do orange juice growing up. YUM!
hooray for summer!

roger and courtney said...

We have some of those, but they are not from Disney. They are from somewhere in Canada. I love the built in straws. We might have to try some new popsicle recipes now!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

fun! :) My mom always just used juice... it was good, but the jello one sounds AWESOME!!! Fun post ;)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Such a fun post! I love homemade popsicles!!! The only place I know here to buy the set to make your own is IKEA... which is an hour by public transit each way. Needless to say I haven't made it there yet to buy any... though your post is great motivation. ;) Isaac and Isaiah are so cute! And I'm glad you're enjoying such fun family memories.

Emily said...

So y'all are returning before next summer? I think details are needed for those of us who only know you via the blogosphere. :)