...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

16 May 2010

Isaiah @ 8 months!


Our littlest Miniman is getting so big. He can wave bye-bye now (of course, never on command when you want to video it) and crawl. Most of the time he does an army scoot, but if he's not in a hurry, he'll crawl up on all fours. Though, most of the time he tries crawling fast after anyone he feels shouldn't leave the room without taking him. Seriously. The kid has taken not being left into his own hands! As soon as he could go forward he started crawling after us if we left the room. Too cute.He was 8 months on May 7th (these were actually taken that day)... and of course I couldn't just post one...
I've realized, compared to my other American mom-friends (at least I think so, I may be wrong) I'm sort of crazy about my boys always having hats on when they go outside. Even Isaiah who only turns browner not pink. The only thing I can attribute this to is maybe because I started my mothering in Asia and most Asians are just as nuts about staying OUT of the sun and being as fair as possible as we Americans are about being tan. Their kids are always covered up. I do not care if Isaac (who bless his heart will never be tan) has any color. I'm covering him up! And Isaiah, who will forever make his Mama jealous of his Caribbean skin tone, gets a hat on his head too! Also, I love accessories. And since I have boys, hats are about all there is to jazz up an outfit.Not sure if you can see it...but this is what I was referring to above. This was after MAYBE 20 minutes in the sun with a rash-guard on and SPF 50 (or was it 75?) rubbed into his chunky little arm. There's no stopping his tan!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Wow! What a cutie! And is it just me or does he look so much more "grown up" in his 8 month pics than in 7?

Your comments on your kiddos wearing hats just makes me smile. Perhaps it is because of your time in Asia? Parents/people in general in the Czech seem to be obsessed with kids in hats too. Year round! The transition here from winter to summer always amuses me when it comes to kids' hats...from a toboggan with their jacket hood over it to just a toboggan to a cotton beanie almost like a newborn hat to a sunhat/cap. But one thing never changes - they always wear a hat! :)

Emily said...

I try hats, but my girls take them off outside. (Inside though, Hazel will put them on while she plays dress up. It's always a knit winter hat too. :) Plus, I love bows better than hats. I do slather Hazel in sunscreen as often as I remember, because poor thing is gonna have my freckly skin, and I'm not sure if SPF can block freckles, but I figure I'll give it a shot since she'll probably not like hers as much as I didn't like mine growing up. And yes, Isaiah (and to some extent Annabel) has jealous-worthy skin!!

Brandon and April said...

Though I'm fully aware that Salem will never have that Caribbean tan of Isaiah's, he DEFINITELY doesn't have his mama's skin either. The boy is like his daddy and is olive, and I love it. But we're hat people too. Mostly because I'm usually terrible about remembering sunscreen for those 30 minute sun sessions (a day at the beach and it's attached to me by a belt) so hats are a good alternative for me. :)

Can't believe he's already 8 months. WOW!! He's dwarfing that koala!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! too cute! he's ADORABLE!!!
I'm the same way with hats - mostly because everyone lectures me if I don't have a hat on my baby when she comes out of the house :) haha!
Cute post!

Anthony and Sharon said...

I think it's hilarious that no mother who has not lived in another country commented! Everyone of you helped give weight to my theory...but I was hoping a mom who HASN'T lived in another country would comment:)

Elizabeth- Yes, lots of stuff seems older about him. Almost like the crawling and waving has given him license to interact with us like never before. Such a big boy. Poor Malaysian kids though... most of the time their parents do the more wintertime hats...ON THE EQUATOR!

Emily- I love bows more than hats too but I don't have that option...rub it in!! :) I love freckles. Yours are so pretty. My sisters both have freckles and Isaac probably has their same skin. I have my dad's skin that tans really fast, but my sisters always reminded me, "Freckles are angel kisses. Sharon, you don't have ANY angel kisses. Angels must not love you." :) It took both my sisters a while to embrace them too, but I love them...they scream, "This girl is fun!" to me for some reason:)

April- I'm with ya on the lazy. SO much easier to stick a hat on them than rub sun screen in. I still try to do their legs and arms when we go to Disney, but usually it's just a hat when it's the 30 minutes outside thing.

Andrea- Pretty sure that's why I do it. Enough mom's ask you in horror, "Where is his hat?! His skin! So light! Where is his hat?" You just buy a hat so they stop deeming you anti-mother of the year. A lot of the time, I'd get the question in the mall or in the shade. Too fun!

Martha said...

I'll be the mom who hasn't lived in another country, and yes, I do make the girls wear sunhats and I slather them in sunscreen. However, I might not be a good perspective since both my girls are going to be the white to red type of skin. Lizzie got pink cheeks at her 5:00 swim lessons last year and I was horrified. Plus, my family always made us wear hats (winter and summer...hated the knit hat with the pom pom in elementary school...thanks mom) and sunscreen when I was little. They still believed a child's sweet skin was to be preserved and that no child should be out in the cold without something on his head. Guess the indoctrination worked, because I followed suit.