So yesterday I was sick and basically laid on the couch. Anthony came home from work early so he could try and be here for when the boys woke up- (Isaiah sleeps from 11:00-3:00 and Isaac from 12:00 to 2:30, 3:00, or a few times even 4:00!)
So, when I woke up to Isaac playing the piano I figured my dad had just gotten him out of his bed before he left or Anthony had come home.
Because Isaac has been in this bed...I wondered how he had gotten out. We LOVE Phil&Ted's. Any new parents out there or parents sick of their baby gear should check out this website. It's like these people have kids so they make stuff that works, and then their wives chime in and say, "Don't make it look dorky." So there's my promo... back to the story...
Well, while at Disney World last week staying in a hotel, I pushed Isaac while he was in the bed and something snapped. (we have an older version than the one above) It still works fine but we talked then about maybe going ahead and moving Isaac into a big bed. We're hoping to get both boys sleeping in the same room before we go back overseas...actually we'd like to have it done before Christmas even and we've gotten a good start!
...Isaac was on the piano... When I realized Anthony wasn't home yet (2:30pm) I called Daddy to see if he had taken Isaac out of the bed. He hadn't. That meant he somehow got out on his own.
When Anthony got home he did a little test...
He put Isaac in his travel bed (which we just used all the time) and immediately Isaac started pushing/leaning on it and it tipped over.
So we just decided yesterday that now was the time to go to the big boy bed.
We bought the safety rails, let Isaac help us install them, then took out his travel bed with him watching. All the while telling him that he was going to sleep in his big boy bed from now on.
We stuck to the normal bedtime routine. Books, shut the door & turn out the lights (he loves to do this), hugs while praying, a kiss and then lay down.
That's when the crying started.
We just determined that he was going to learn that he was to stay in his new big bed and not get out.
He got up and out and opened the door to his room. We told him if he did it again, we were going to spank him and that he was to lay down and go to sleep.
He got up. We spanked him. Laid him back down. Told him not to get up and to go to sleep.
He got up again probably 5 more times. We only spanked him if we had told him we would before hand. (I think he got 3) Eventually we heard no noise from the baby monitor. We decided we'd just let him get into a deep sleep and then move him back to the bed if he had gone to sleep on the floor or something. He only actually left his room the first time, so the fact that he was even staying in the room was great! (No wandering about the house at night!)
When we went back to check an hour later or so, this is what we found.
Asleep in his big boy bed!!! (If you click on the photo maybe you can see his little striped rainbow bootie poking up. He's laying horizontally across the bed towards the foot) And that's where he stayed until 6:50 this morning!Here's him this morning and I took a few pictures praising him for being a big boy and sleeping there. He cheesed it up for the camera and I think he understood and was proud.
It was basically the same routine. There were tears. Only it was shorter. Last night it was about 25 minutes and today it was about 20 minutes. Here he is about 45 minutes after going to sleep. I think he's sleeping horizontally because that's how his travel bed was positioned down in front of the foot of his bed. I guess we'll work later on sleeping with his head at the head of the bed! (Update: Wrote this while he was napping...He slept nearly 2 and a half hours! Woke up at 2:40)
We'll have to see. (and for now, we're saving up to get the new "Traveller" from Phil&Ted's so Isaiah will have somewhere to sleep during all our travels (and at home too!)
6 comments:
He's such a big boy!
We love Phil & Ted's, you can't beat the Traveller.
Way to go Isaac!!
Ok, 700 points for the Phil & Ted's promo. We have the new Traveller (I know...are you stalking me?!) and LOVE it! Eden hasn't slept in...pretty sure she'd tip it over like Isaac. But Salem has and it was awesome. We also set it up at the beach with the sun shade and all and he took a snooze in it there too. Too fun.
I sooo wish we had that big of a bed for Eden to grow into but I'm afraid all she'll have is a twin bed or even just a toddler size bed. Awesome bedding!!
Second comment...
does Isaiah already take just ONE nap?!
All the things you have to experiment with parenting! We went through a mattress on the floor, a baby gate at the door, and now her day bed is positioned like a crib against the wall so she can't get out. I think parenting is all about trial and error! :) That's awesome that Isaac got it so quickly. He looks so cute in that big ol bed.
Emily- Isaac has done great! We didnt' have the money for a baby gate (haha!) so we just decided to keep putting him back in and telling him the right way until he got it. He's not great at transitions so I think for him it was best just to change what needed to be changed and go all out. Tonight Anthony just had to go in twice to get him back in bed and the second time he was already headed there!!! He knows!!! And there were only a couple tears shed.
Through all this though, I've asked Anthony several times, "Wait. So our sweet little miniman is in a big boy bed? He's just gonna keep getting bigger huh?" :( I'm proud, but MY they grow fast!!
April- I actually would have loved a twin or toddler bed but that's what was already in the room so we just went with it. We ALMOST bought a toddler bed the other day at IKEA but then just said (after acknowledging we didn't have the money:) that we'd just have to transition him out of a toddler bed and thought it'd just be too many transitions to deal with. So we went straight to big bed. (My mom bought the bedding for him before we got home this summer! FUN!) More than likely in his room overseas there will be a twin bed (and one for Isaiah too!)
Oh and naps- Isaiah sleeps some in the morning and some in the afternoon but there seems to be one nap from about 11 til 3 everyday that I can count on him taking. He set his own schedule and he still does fine at night so we go with it!!!
Naps, big boy beds... what can I say?? My boys are AWESOME!!! :D
haha! We love our traveler (we have the older version too :)) Aashini is still sleeping in it when we go out of town, but the mattress isn't as comfortable to her now (but she'll still use it when we are out of town). After this baby comes though, Aashini won't get to use it anymore - whoa! that's crazy! We'll have to plan on an extra bed and stuff for vacation!!
Aashini did really good transitioning to her "big girl bed". We did it when we got back from the states (after giving her a couple weeks to transition). It was easy for her. We started with just naps and when she was OK with that, then we did nights. It's funny how every kid is different!! It definitely keeps life exciting!
Isaac looks sooo cute in his bed!!!
Lizzie sleeps horizontally in her crib, and Kate very often sleeps horizontally in her double bed. Maybe it's a cousin thing...
Post a Comment