Here's Daddy enjoying the wedding food while Isaac looks on. The silver tea kettle looking thing is actually for washing your hands before and after the meal.
...and the i's have it!
13 June 2008
First Wedding
We took Isaac to his first wedding last week (sorry, we've been out of town...pics of our trip to come!)
Here's Daddy enjoying the wedding food while Isaac looks on. The silver tea kettle looking thing is actually for washing your hands before and after the meal.
The groom's youngest sister taking Isaac around to show the other guests.
The lovely new couple. My good friend is standing beside me...her boyfriend is standing beside Anthony.
Ok, so maybe this wasn't so much about Isaac. I met the girl in the middle 4 years ago in another part of the country...and she was THERE at that wedding! Wow! Small world!
And the classic shot with the Bride and Groom sitting on their "thrones."
Isaac did great at his first wedding...although wedding's here are super noisy so bringing a baby- who may cry at any given moment- isn't a big a deal...it just adds to the wedding fun!
Here's Daddy enjoying the wedding food while Isaac looks on. The silver tea kettle looking thing is actually for washing your hands before and after the meal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
How neat! Isaac is gonna be a pro at all this before long! I noticed in the last pic- the bride and groom seem to have "red fingertips?" Maybe you mentioned this before in another post, but what's the significance?
Fun post- thanks for sharing in all the cool stuff you do!
I think this was a perfect post for Isaac! It's always fun to see TCK's in action!
Okay, so I have LOTS of questions...
1. blue roses? I assume they're fake?
2. Why is the groom wearing a "silver leaf tie"?
3. The girls in your pic have head coverings... I can't remember why you don't?
4. Are the people in the banner behind you guys the bride & groom?
how fun :) Glad he had a good time at the wedding :) I LOVE that the bride gets to wear a crown! :) There's a lot of blue at that wedding! Is that a wedding color there? or just couple's choice?
Looks like Isaac had fun!
oh, and the groom's hat is fabulous! :) It's so intergalatic! :) Is that a typica groom's hat?
Wow...questions. Intergalatic questions at that!
1.Red fingers- They dip their fingertips in henna. It's just something "done" for weddings. Here they don't do the real pretty henna designs like in the middle east and India (darn!)
2.Blue Roses- Called "Bunga Telur" which means "Flower Egg." They're fake yes. They're given away at every wedding as like a party favor. We've asked but no one seems to know the meaning. WE THINK it has something to do with a fertility thing- eggs, new bride and groom, blooming flower- kinda like "Raisin cakes" in the bible.
3.The "tie" is more of a necklace. Muslims actually prefer NOT to wear neck ties, as the origins of modern neck ties began during the crusades when crusaders would wear a scarf of their wife in order to remember them as they were crusading. His just happens to be a bit more gaudy. Most are more like normal chain necklaces.
4. The girls are Muslim and I'm not. However, not all Muslim women here wear head coverings. Its actually kind of a serious "commitment" to decide to wear one. My good friend actually didn't decide to wear one until after she had been to Mecca. When I met her she wore a pony tail:) I usually wear a loose head covering on the first day of Hari Raya (after Ramadan) It's just more formal and "completes" the outfit:)
5. Yes its a pic of the bride and groom...with a lot less eye-liner!
6. Blue is simply the color they wanted for their wedding. There's not a particular wedding color here. Although green, blue, and gold are popular...I've been to pink, purple, white, yellow, and orange too though:)
7. Yes, the groom's hat is a normal wedding hat for guys. They're actually really cool in person. His is pretty tall. They resemble the ones the Sultans (kings) wear here. So yes, the bride wears a crown and technically so does the groom!
GREAT questions!!! Not everyone reads the comments, so maybe I'll do a wedding blog. We're going to a wedding tomorrow, so I'll try and take culturally important pictures!
Great answers :)
I'm so glad you answered the Q's! I learned a lot in this post. :)
The bride looks gorgeous!!
Actually, I noticed that Anthony was eating with his right hand as manners would dictate, but the wedding party's table was complete with silverware. See... it is a lot neater to eat with utensils!
Wow, Issac's getting sooo big!
Yeah, they have really cool henna designs over here. Also, everyone wears the hijab (scarf), plus the abaya (long black robe).
Sounds cool! Very different from our weddiings- I went to one last night!
Is that one of the girls we met in sarawak?????? Not sarawak... Where we met Juju!! Where's that?
Post a Comment