...and the i's have it!

...and the i's have it!

02 July 2007

1st Belly Picture and other happenings...

So here it is...somewhere around 7 and half weeks.
There's a little bump under there, it's coming out right under my belly button.
Promise.
But I'm in no hurry to have a big belly.

Of the few that know of our secret at this point, most have asked how it's all going.
So far no morning sickness.
Just a strange combination of hunger
and a repulsion to food from 4pm to 7pm.
Which hasn't worked out well for Anthony because I don't really feel like cooking anything near dinnertime.
A week or so ago we went to a birthday party for our friend Patty.
Here she is eating some birthday durian.
If you've never had the privilege of being within a city block of a durian fruit,
allow me to enlighten you.
First, do you see the spikes on the outside?
That was God's warning to man to not open it.
Someone did.
Probably someone in Asia because in general, people on the American continents know nothing of durian.

Second, there's the smell.
Singapore doesn't allow it on their subways because of the smell.
I agree with Singapore.
It smells kinda sweet...
kinda cantaloupe-ish...
kinda house cleaner chemical-ish.
But don't be fooled.
Mr. Clean would not appreciate durian.

Then the real kicker.

The taste.

They say you have to eat it 3 times in order to like it.
In my opinion that's like saying,
"Pull a few hairs out of your head. I know it'll be unpleasant at first, but seriously, if you just do it 3 times, you'll like it...promise."

I tried durian 3 years ago while in Asia.
And there's really not a lot that can convince me to do it a second or a third time.
I don't WANT to like it.
It has the consistency of a thick yogurt.
And the flavor is like a cantaloupe, but an over-ripened cantaloupe that makes your mouth warm after eating it.
The 'warm' feeling also comes from a taste like eating a raw onion.
Which is how strong the unique yogurty cantaloupey oniony taste of the durian is.

It's rude to reject any food that's offered to you here, but the other night it was all I could do to hold everything in at the smell of the durian.
And we haven't told our local friends yet, so for now, they probably just think I'm a rude white lady who rejected their offer of durian.
Anthony came through for us though...
And he slept facing away from me that night.
Because, like garlic times a million, it stays 'on' you for a while.
Look at it on his fingers...sticky yogurty grossness...ick...

Ok, enough about durian.
What have I been craving?
Meat.This is meat.
It was salty and good.
Covered in delicious Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning mix.
I love meat, especially for dinner.
But preparing it makes me feel nauseous (along with any other food)
So it's been an interesting dance around dinner time.

On to other things.
The skin on my face is completely awful.
I've never had a problem with acne, but since going off birth control, it's like I'm 13 all over again, except this time I actually have acne.
I'm waiting for that 'glow' everyone talks about...
so far it looks more like a Light Bright.
But not the butterfly pattern Light Bright that makes you all happy...
the Light Bright after all the holes have been punched and you can't tell what it is anymore.
But that's why God made make-up, so no worries.

And the last thing for this week.
We bought our first "baby" purchase.
This is a "Poang" chair from IKEA.
I have no idea what Poang means, but it's super comfy and it will be the 'chair' in our baby's nursery.
Anthony and I have wanted one since the first time we tried one out at the store a while ago.
Today on a strictly window-shopping trip to IKEA, we saw this one in the "As-is" section.
It's in near perfect condition and we got a great deal on it.
We have to buy the cushion separate, but that will come on subsequent trips to IKEA.
By February (our estimated due date as of right now is February 15th) we'll get to hold our little baby in this very chair!
Woo Hoo!
(That thought makes 4-7pm go by much faster!)

9 comments:

The Agarwals said...

Meat cravings.... hmmm... I wonder what that means?! For me, it's always meant a boy! :-) Can you guys find out what it is there? or do you want to?
Love the due date, that's exactly what mine was for a long time, until it was moved up a day to Valentine's Day- which is exactly when Eden made her appearance. Not sure you want a "heart" baby, but it sure does makes everything extra sweet :-)
We'll be praying for those 4-7 slots too!! I know how rough those moments can be!! And kudos to Anthony for his considerate sleeping habits after such a yummy treat!! Pregnant or not, I think I might be repulsed by that!
Well, keep these posts coming- they are such awesome reminders of how Great our God is!!
Love you 3!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, you make me laugh! Tummy?? Anyway, I mailed your special "tummy covering" clothes today. I am sure they will arrive BEFORE you will really need them. And Anthony, I'm not sure if you are my hero or just plain crazy for eating durian. I only smelled it when we were over there and it was not pleasant ... and it wasn't even cut open!! I'm also so excited that Little Rivers' grandmas will have a chair to rock in when we visit. I'll be sure to bring my favorite books to read out loud when I come.

Anthony and Sharon said...

Annie- Yes, they have all the technological fun stuff here. So we'll get to find out what it is...and yes, we want to know! How else can you go clothes shopping?
Our first appointment and ultrasound is July 10th.

Brandon and April said...

I think I like the color of your poang better than my poang...even though it wouldn't match Eden's crib and dresser.
nice "belly" picture. I don't think I've had that flat a stomach since 4th grade! :)
and just so you know...God Bless America is not the national anthem. close, but no cigar. :)
though funny none the less!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, So glad you left a comment on our baby blog! Our precious little one is due Feb 18! We're like 3 days apart! I would love to keep up with you and your pregnancy over the next 7 months to see how things are going. Its always nice to have someone going through the same things (nausea, growing pains, etc) to share the ride with. Lucky you on not having morning sickness. I have it ALL DAY LONG! I'm miserable. But..its so worth it! Every time I puke its a reminder of the sweet little angel growing inside me! Thanks again for saying hi!!
Larra (mattandlarra.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

PS have fun at your first ultrasound tomorrow! It is priceless..we had ours a couple of weeks ago because I started out as a high risk because I lost a baby 10 months ago..so we got to see it earlier than normal. it was amazing seeing and hearing its little heart beating!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - there is no belly! But just wait... you can't believe how big it can stretch! The baby is so cute. I was just talking to your mom on email about how I knew that would be one more beautiful grandchild for her! I'm so excited - your mom is coming to Ridgecrest! I know that you are jealous! I think it is going to be a girl and born on Valentine's Day. Eden Agarwal was born on Valentine's Day and she is precious! Love you three!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited for you guys!!! There is just nothing that adaquately explains the feeling of being parents (not just for the first time, but each and every time)! This little life is so going to change your lives, but definitely for the better. Right now you're wondering how you're going to do everything, but as soon as you have the baby it's hard to remember your life before it was here...PROMISE!

And about the morning sickness/glowing thing...yeah, that's not something I would know anything about! Never happened for me!! I had all day sickness and acne and oily hair and...well, you get the picture (it wasn't pretty!) My doctor even commented on it during one of my visits..."you're just not one of those women that glow during pregnancy, are you?" (Thanks a lot doc! I couldn't see that every time I looked in the mirror...DUH!) But the good news is...this too shall pass...and it's totally worth it when the baby gets here!

Love you guys!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to learn of the new addition that is being added to your family this very moment! :0) ...3 years ago feels just like yestarday...and Anthony I salute you for going through the horrendous time of eating durian again...i mean ...wow. Impressive.
Sharon, acne of not...you'll still be gorgeous 24/7. I love the both ...I mean the three of you!
-Katrin
(please disregard any bad spelling) :0/